-
July 15th, 2003, 12:21 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Had a look on the old Force.net a while ago and found this in their fan film making section, these guys can sure film a fight sequence!
Awesome!
-
July 15th, 2003, 12:50 PM
#2
Inactive Member
it had some cool bits. i really liked the end. it was cool when they are fighting for the saber. and it was kind of funny throughout too, like rolling on the floor.
but, ever since taking Japanese Sword Fighting things like this look really fake to me. it has lots of flash and dazzle (no pun intended lol) but if you watch frame by frame, you'll see dozens of places where one or the other could have killed his oppenent. also, lots of times when they swing they are going for someones sword. which is not a good fighting technique. when attacking always pretend your oppenent dosn't have a sword (assuming that sword isn't about to kill you), go for his neck, or arm or whatever is vunerable. in practice, to keep it safe go for the swords. anyway, i will now step off my soap box.
[img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] i liked it. more than most starwars fan films. cause it was short, not at all boring, funny, and good effects. yah, i liked it alot. nice find james!
cheers
-
July 15th, 2003, 01:15 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Well after viewing it a second time I can see what you mean when you talk about going for the sabers. What I thought could have been improved was the colour of the bad guys saber, yellow didnt look right with the background, very washed out.
Glad you liked it, have a look at this little film as well, not star wars based but involves a lightsaber
Sabers and Sweep
-
July 15th, 2003, 02:17 PM
#4
Inactive Member
yellow did look weird!
hehe, that one was funny. very odd, but funny. effects wern't as good as the first one. i could see the stick on the saber peeking through the edge of the glow once.
lol
-
July 15th, 2003, 02:37 PM
#5
Inactive Member
thats some impressive **** ... that fight is by far the best ive seen of this fan star wars stuff.
-
July 15th, 2003, 02:59 PM
#6
Inactive Member
The second one is very funny and was from a site AlamDV, dont know if you guys have used that program before. They do have good things on there but you do usually get the light saber or matrix film
-
July 16th, 2003, 08:55 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Ahoy. It is I, Ryan Wieber, quasi-winner of the first duel linked to. Anyway, glad you guys thought it was cool. I would, however, like to jump in and have a debate. Don't take this as a war initiation, but I have been getting similar comments I'd like to address and get reactions to, etc.
but, ever since taking Japanese Sword Fighting things like this look really fake to me. it has lots of flash and dazzle (no pun intended lol) but if you watch frame by frame, you'll see dozens of places where one or the other could have killed his oppenent.
We tried rather obsessively to avoid this. If you could, I'd like you to point out some of these occurances. We did end up hesitating in a couple points which end up being an "opening", namely my stall at the end of the first set, but uh, aside from that, what sorts of things are you referring to?
also, lots of times when they swing they are going for someones sword. which is not a good fighting technique.
Ever heard of.... fencing? [img]biggrin.gif[/img] You've got to remember swordfighting does not mean every single move should be a kill shot. How would you suprise your opponent? That would be all anticipation. The goal most of the time would be to exchange attacks and parries to disarm or get the other person's blade into a position where it cannot defend them, then go in fro the kill. Again, fencing is the prime example.
It's good to talk to somebody with some real sword training, I'm sure you'll be able to prove me wrong here or at least bring some very good points to the table.
-
July 16th, 2003, 09:50 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Hey dude. Freaky. How did you hear about this?
[img]biggrin.gif[/img]
You got any more up and coming stuff?
Just been watching the second one again and noticed an error, one minute hes holding his bags the next shot he has his hands up and no bags on the floor
-
July 16th, 2003, 12:25 PM
#9
Inactive Member
the guy in the glasses looks like he is toying with the other guy to me, you could use that to explain any pionts where they aint going for the kill.
-
July 16th, 2003, 01:17 PM
#10
Inactive Member
"What sorts of things are you referring to?"
Don't worry man. Your stuff is awesome and these are just tiny details. The sort of things I'm talking about are so tiny. It might even be because you are obviously using a difrent style from what I'm used to. Just things like one guy blocks down low, leaving him open to a real heavy neck slash. He could defend the neck slash but if the attacker were agile enough and steped to his side as he initiated it chances are a neck would be slashed. But, then as I watch it again, I see that your way could be considered smarter anyway, don't attack unless you know you won't die when your opponent defends.
"Ever heard of.... fencing? [img]biggrin.gif[/img] You've got to remember swordfighting does not mean every single move should be a kill shot."
Ha ha! Good point my friend! Again, no offense meant in any of this.
I think it's just me and my difrent style agian. I've been taught over and over agian that sword fights end in seconds unless the people are freakishly good. You know, like in the old Samurai movies, it's hit, block, hit, kill. Woosh! Just like that "it's game over" as my teacher likes to say. They don't fence and test each other. They just block the first attack and then chop the poor fellows head off! It's almost uncanny actually.
And, I just realized. Japanese style is based on these razor sharp, super thin steel blades. They actually shatter if they hit wrong. If you block with your cutting side, you slice right through the other guys sword. This makes the style very restrained, and causes these weird, instant death things. You don't want to fence with him, you'll end up with half a sword.
Lightsaber fighting dosn't really exist, so we don't know what would have evolved. They probably weigh virtually nothing, there might be some air friction, but not much. This would let you do really fast recoveries on attacks and stuff. With Japanese swords they might brake if you change direction during a real strong move.
So, pardon me. I thought only in terms of Japanese style. My bad.
"It's good to talk to somebody with some real sword training"
LOL! I am not exactly an expert, in fact were we to dual with practice swords you would probably crush me. I've only been in the class for 6 months, I havn't even advanced to real swords yet. Actually, when they do offer real swords to anyone there I may drop out. That is just to scary. We hit each other all the time.
Cheers, and goodluck. I like your movies alot. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks